Monday, December 22, 2008

Backlog status

Any games you want to hear about?

What I'm playing or have recently finished:
Wrath of the Lich King
Left 4 Dead
Team Fortress 2
Gears of War 2
King's Bounty
Fallout 3
Lock's Quest
Tomb Raider: Underworld
The World Ends With You
Drill Dozer
Metal Slug 7
Ninjatown
Geometry Wars: Galaxies (that's the DS one)
Contact

What I've recently gotten but haven't played or have barely played:
Darwinia
Multiwinia
Space Rangers 2
The Political Machine 2008
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Audiosurf
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl

What I still hope to get, in no particular order:
Far Cry 2
World of Goo
EDF 2017
Aquaria
Defense Grid
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Season 1 (35 bucks for the whole season now)
Immortal Defense
Some GBA games and DS games; I cannot access my Amazon list for a while
One racing game for the 360 (wouldn't want to get burdened with too many games to catch up with!) from the following list:
Midnight Club: Los Angeles (leaning towards this one)
Need for Speed Undercover
PURE
Burnout: Paradise
Baja: Edge of Control
GRID

I think that, apart from these lists, the list I have on Amazon, and the games I will receive for Christmas, I will be well-covered for the first half of the year. Yes? Also, hooray! I see patterns erupting. Someone needs to hire me to be the casual MMO guy. I don't know of any casuals who understand or care about MMOs. I also haven't seen anyone compare the vast range of tower defense games that came out in 2008. Along with the downloadable revolution, tower defense has really come of age recently; Lock's Quest is awesome so far and I'm enthused about chewing on the many others.

It's a good thing I haven't gotten a Playstation 2 yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Abbott said...

May seem crazy since the game was originally released in '07, but I'd love to see you cover the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher.

Plenty of hot/cold reviews of the original release, but it never felt like anyone really dug into the game - especially the update - critically or analytically. I'm sure someone has (it's an RPG, after all) and I've simply missed it; but I'd be interested in your take on the game if you're still looking for nominations...and if you happen to have 50 or so hours to devote to it. ;-)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Etelmik said...

Hey! Good idea. I was in the middle of King's Bounty but that's old and more entertainment-ish.

I actually haven't played much of it yet and am only on the first chapter, so it'll be a while; fortunately I have other stuff to write about until then!

What was it that interested you the most? While much of it is different, thematically it's very pop-culture fantasy and "I do what I want" masculinity tough-guy stuff. I hear the plot's very unique though (for a game at least).

8:24 AM  
Blogger Michael Abbott said...

Yeah, it's the plot I'm mostly interested in and if/how it pulls you in via role-playing. I'm always curious to see what sort of structural, mechanical stuff new RPGs bring to the table too.

Problem is, I don't have time to squeeze this one in now that my break is over and I'm back to teaching. For whatever reason, it's the one RPG I wish I hadn't skipped when it came out. Piqued my curiosity, though I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe it just looked different to me...and different is always a good thing in my book when it comes to RPGs. :-)

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home