Monday, October 27, 2008

Where I've been

I've been quite busy; I guess I should take it as a good sign that I have something other than my blog to pour writing into, though, yes? I've been writing airy, proud stuff on GSW for a while and have been wanting to expand my reach and range of topics; other than an article for Eurogamer and some links to my GSW/GamaSutra/Blog stuff, I've not got much to brag about. I've also been receiving some encouragement from a writer or two and came to the realization that I don't know how to review, or at least have not had much experience at it.

At the same time, Snackbar Games has been growing a bit and its owner, Chris Rasco, finally got a lot of personal life stuff in order and has been spending a lot of time on the site. Chris Rasco and I had talked for a long time about really pushing the site. Get it enough traffic to make money, and we'll start paying people, he says. I've been the editor there for over a year; over 90% of all the final stuff in that time period is due to my amateur editing. Some mom and pop sites don't do much, or get anywhere, but then again some do. It's true Snackbar is just some little volunteer site, but it's way ahead of all the others. First, it used to be etoychest (technically making SB 6 years old), a metacritic-indexed site that people had actually heard of, headed in large part by Jason Dobson, who is now a respected writer for Joystiq and other places. Second, our traffic is so big we get unsolicited games we get over 20 games a month. We're in good with THQ, 2K, Activision, EA, and others. Not bad!

Anyway, Chris's efforts have had me doing a lot more editing and grabbing a lot more staff, so content here will slow down and I'll probably be posting on there more. I have written four reviews in the last two weeks, a news post or two, an interview with the devs for League of Legends (the first one they've given that I know of, coming later this week), and a first impressions piece on Call of Duty: World at War.

To anyone who reads (or writes!) reviews, I'd love feedback; I wonder if and why these are good enough to use as samples when I approach other outlets; if I have style weaknesses, I need to overcome them. The other editor, Graham, has thankfully been taking some of my workload and recently begun editing my stuff; before that, I wrote it, I usually didn't get any other eyes on it and then edited it, then it was posted. Feedback on the SB site is welcome, too, as Chris is making a lot of changes to it.

So that's where I've been, and that's where I'll be much of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home